Amersham Town 0 - 2 Stotfold

A game against table topping Stotfold was always going to be a challenge. Although Stotfold merited their win Amersham completed well, defended strongly and, in a blustery wind, maintained their significant improvement since the start of the year.


Stotfold took the lead after only three minutes. A high cross from the left caught in the wind and, as the Town defenders tried to adjust their feet, the ball rebounded to Stotfold’s Dev Simms who fired strongly past Ryan Lehane in the Amersham goal.


Stotfold then won a succession of corners which Amersham defended well. Twice, however, Lehane had to claw the ball out from beneath the bar as the wind carried it goalwards.  At the other end a lovely through ball from Charlie Line to Harry Bennett was carried wide of the goal by the wind so that Liam Gooch in the Stotfold goal was able to gather easily. Just before half time it seemed as if Stotfold must increase their lead but a phalanx of defenders blocked shots and the ball was cleared. At the other end Line was put through but sliced well wide.


With the wind behind them in the second half Amersham came more into the game but the absence of an incisive final pass meant that Gooch was not severely troubled. Stotfold were always dangerous and Ollie Regan did well to deflect a goal bound shot over the bar. Stotfold then made the game safe on sixty eight minutes. Throughout the game they had employed a long throw to a tall centre forward which had been dealt with well by the Amersham defence. On this occasion, however, Luke Smith was able to back-head the ball past Lehane and into the net.


Amersham will be disappointed that, with the wind behind them, they did not do more to test the Stotfold keeper. Credit for that, however, must go to a strong Stotfold defence in a team which will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Amersham Town: Lehani, Perman, Gibson, Ikusemori, Clifford, Symons. Line, Regan, Bennett, Toomey, Swaby.  Subs: Fowler, A Hall, Hames, Hill.