Amersham Town 2 - 3 Winslow Utd


Buildbase FA Vase; First Qualifying Round

This was an enthralling cup tie as both teams went for the win. Although Amersham were never ahead and Winslow enjoyed slightly more possession the visitors could not rest easy until the final whistle.


The opening ten minutes were evenly contested, ‘though the best chance fell to Winslow when the Amersham defence were slow to clear their lines giving the Winslow forward a clear slight on goal but Town keeper Oliver Keil pulled off a fine save diving full stretch low to his right. Two minutes later, however, Winslow took the lead when Michael Adeyemi was judged to have fouled his opponent. It looked a dubious penalty but Abu Kham fired his low shot beneath the diving Keil and into the net.


Winslow then enjoyed more of the ball without cutting out a clear chance. It was therefore slightly against the run of play on twenty five minutes when the home team equalised. A long ball found Town’s Conrad Holland and Winslow keeper, Charlie Jones, contesting the bounce. Jones was just able to punch the ball clear but it rebounded to Harry Bennett on the edge of the area and he lobbed it back into the net.


Ten minutes later Winslow again went ahead. Poor control by an Amersham defender allowed the Winslow winger to centre the ball to top scorer Lewis Workman. His shot took a wicked deflection as it squirmed past a stranded Keil and into the corner of the net.


As the second half progressed Amersham came increasingly into the game. First Harry Bennett had an opportunity from a Nick Kerley cross but headed wide then Town equalised on seventy-four minutes when Nick Kerley curled a free kick from twenty two yards round the wall past an unsighted Jones. With only a few minutes left to play Town then suffered another deflected goal when Workman’s shot won the game.



Amersham Town: Keil, Line, Fowler, Nott, Symons, Adeyemi, Bennett, Deritis, Kerley, Holland, Lawrence
Subs: Regan, Swaby, Adu-Adjei, A Hall, O’Sullivan, Nash-Barker, Stringer.