• Mike Gahagan

Rayners Lane 2-1 Amersham Town 26th September 2020

Rayners Lane 2-1 Amersham Town 26th September 2020

A very much improved Amersham narrowly lost out to a Rayners Lane team who are expected to challenge for the title this season, Rayners Lane were forced to wait until 14 minutes from time to get their winner in a closely fought game. Amersham were without five starters, including Club captain Luke Symons which meant left back Joe Mistretta took the armband. Tom Canfield won his place back after former Ipswich Town man Jake Edwards-Alley was sent off in the first game of the Spartan South Midlands Division One season at Buckingham Athletic.

Amersham started the better team of the two and they had a goal ruled out four minutes in for a soft foul during the build-up. Rayners Lane then took the lead 10 minutes in when Amersham were carved open. A ball fired across goal was tapped in at the back post by the Rayners Lane centre forward. After the goal, momentum was with Rayners Lane, however, Amersham had their best chance of the game when a shot was deflected into the keeper`s hands. The next chance came when Rayners Lane played another ball across goal and it looked like the Rayners Lane forward couldn’t miss to make it 2-0 but he somehow fell over the ball from 3 yards out. In the 32nd minute Amersham Town a shot from Sathiyananthan flashed wide from 25 yards out. 5 minutes from half time, Tom Canfield was called into action with a good save. However Amersham went into half time a goal down.

Just as in the first half Amersham Town started the second 45 much the better team. A few chances but none challenging the Rayners Lane keeper. 49 minutes in Hassan Al-Murtada made a good run into the Rayners Lane box but his one two was intercepted by a Rayners Lane defender. A good shot after a give and go from Rayners Lane`s number 9 forced an exceptional save out of Tom Canfield. In the 67th minute a powerful shot from the edge of the box was blazed over by Rayners Lane. However, that scare must have given Amersham a wake up call as a minute later Hassan Al-Mohamed made an energetic drive into the Rayners Lane box and his shot forced a save out of the Rayners Lane goalkeeper but he unselfishly headed the rebound across goal for debutant Marcus Rivers to head in the equaliser from 2 yards out. However, 8 minutes later Rayners Lane regained the lead.

A header from a corner forced goalkeeper Tom Canfield into a sharp save but the rebound was headed in by a Rayners Lane player. He was caught on the forehead by the boot of an Amersham Town player which forced an unnecessary reaction from the Rayners Lane players and staff. Ten minutes of added time were added on by the referee for the stoppage following the second goal. 7 minutes deep into added time and Luke Cestrone had a shot which whistled passed the post. Amersham looked like they would have one last chance but the referee blew the whistle whilst the ball was floating into the box. It was a much more mature performance from Amersham as they frustrated Rayners Lane for large parts of the game. Things look like they are looking up for Amersham though and they will hope to get a result next time out.

272 views0 comments