A Brief History
Amersham Town at the end of the century.
Amersham Town FC was formed in 1890. An inaugural meeting took place at the Crown public house, now a hotel, on 10 October 1890. The Chairman was a local headmaster who was very friendly with W. G. Grace and was, in fact, recommended by that great cricketer.
Among the original rules were no bad language on the pitch, that no player should wear any nails, an annual subscription of 1/6d ( or 7.5p ) and an agreement that the club colours would be black and white.
The club originally played at Barn Meadow, down the road from the current ground. Amersham Town moved to Spratleys Meadow in 1920, thanks to the generosity of a local entrepreneur - a Mr Brazil - who founded the famous Bowyers sausage and pie company.
Amersham joined the Hellenic League in 1952. The Clubhouse, a former school room, was erected in 1968 and extended to its current size in 1983. By then, in 1977, floodlights had been installed. In 1998 the Club secured a ninety nine year lease on Spratleys Meadow and installed a new stand. In 2000, new pitches were provided across School Lane for the Youth Section.
In 2006/07 the club enjoyed a major refurbishment. The original changing rooms, which were commandeered in the war as an emergency mortuary in the event of an air raid on Amersham, were demolished and modern facilities constructed. The pitch, which had a slope of 11ft 4 inches from touchline to touchline, was levelled and now provides an excellent playing surface and the clubhouse recently has been comprehensively remodelled. Amersham Town was granted Charter Standard Club status in 2013.
The first team, which was plays in Division One of the Combined Counties League, is managed by Stuart Atkins and the club has developed close links with Kings Church FC, a well organised club which runs more than fifteen local junior teams.
A PDF booklet on the club’s history, prepared for its 125th anniversary in 2015, can be viewed by downloading the PDF here.